It’s that time again. New Year’s resolutions time! I am a huge, huge fan of New Year’s resolutions, I’m actually a huge fan of New Years in general. I know it’s arbitrary, but I like to use it as a way to evaluate my life and make goals from there.
Let’s revisit the goals I outlined at the beginning of 2012:
1. Lose the 10lbs I’ve gained since I was at my lowest weight. I will do this by continue going to kickboxing classes, going running, committing to working out while traveling, and by making smarter choices about what I eat.
HOW’D I DO: I didn’t lose 10lbs, but I lost a few pounds and I’ve definitely slimmed out due to kickboxing. I went to about 120 kickboxing classes this year, that’s once every 3 days. Considering I couldn’t go for 4.5 months when I hurt my wrist I think that’s pretty damn good. I pretty much stopped running, but I’m ok with that. I definitely did better about working out when traveling (although that’s fallen off towards the end of this year) and I think my food choices have been satisfactory.
2. Save money. I will reopen a separate savings account, stop using my credit card so much, and cut back on spending money on food and drinks.
HOW’D I DO: I really committed to this goal in the middle of 2012 with my austerity measures. That is still going well.
And repeat and add some smaller goals:
- Continue to regularly donate blood (did ok with this one, could have done better)
- Wear my contacts more often (I really want to do this, but they’re so painful!)
- Become a bone marrow donor (fail)
- Learn to knit a sweater (fail, but I couldn’t knit for so long due to my wrist injury so I’m giving myself an excemption)
- Clean out my purse and wallet each week (I actually forgot I made this a goal, so fail)
- Either take or plan a vacation (I didn’t, but I found a better use for my money)
Let’s move on to 2013!
1. Stop binging on food. Rather than making losing weight my goal I’m going to give myself one goal that’s tangible. I think I did pretty well on this for much of 2012, but in the fall, when I started seriously dropping weight, I started eating peanut butter M&M’s by the giant bagful. No more of that in 2013.
2. Keep up with my austerity measures. They’ve worked really well for me so far and I need to save, save, save in 2013 so why change what’s working?
3. Go to kickboxing 4-5 times per week. This is pretty much what I’ve been doing and I would just like to keep it up. It’s a great work out in addition to being a stress reliever and an outlet for all sorts of energy. When I’m away and can’t go to kickboxing I will bring workout clothes and do something, even if it’s just walking.
4. Get less annoyed at stupid strangers. I had stupid people so, so, so much. Unfortunately living in NYC I come across people I find to be stupid all the time (mostly on the subway). I have these crazy laws of etiquette in my mind and I get so annoyed when other people don’t follow them. But I don’t want to spend so much time annoyed. So I want to just take a deep breath and remember it’s better to be happy than right.
And I’m going to add in some smaller goals again:
- Donate blood regularly
- Get a new pair of glasses
- Become a bone marrow donor
- Learn to knit a sweater
- Clean out my purse and wallet each week
- Read at least 100 books